A bomb scare at LAX during her layover unexpectedly puts Cecilia in an overnight stay at the run-down The Californian hotel. Unfortunately for her, the room is already occupied.
Genre: Horror (rock-influenced)
A soft thud from the bathroom banished all thoughts from her head. She was on her feet almost immediately, ears straining. A nearly inaudible hiss of something sliding along the bathroom floor raised goose bumps on her arms and hairs on the back of her neck. Her bladder threatened to release the pressure that had been building since the flight.
Cecilia grabbed a lamp from the bedside table and crept to the bathroom door. Her wobbly knees threatened to buckle. She pressed her lips tight to smother the chattering of her teeth. As she was almost upon it, she heard the shower curtain being pulled open. Her insides filled with ice water, and she yelped in fright before she could stop herself.
‘The Californian’ by JM Ames, part of the anthology A Flash of Words by Scout Media, is now available worldwide in paperback and a variety of eBook options.
- Direct order signed paperback here
- Direct order paperback or ebook from publisher Scout Media. Includes:
- Free soundtrack on CD. Each song handpicked by the author to represent their story, here
- Order paperback or ebook from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Booksamillion – all online book retailers.
- Free shipping with Amazon if you have a Prime account here
A Flash of Words (Signed Paperback + Media Mail delivery)
Includes 'The Californian.'
“I don’t read horror. I don’t watch horror movies. I even turn away or fast forward or change the channel or mute the tv and not watch when a horror movie commercial comes on. I’m a terrible wimp. I get into the first third of your story and am hit with fear writhing in my chest. Do I finish the story? Am I going to be able to go to the bathroom tonight? Will I ever sleep again? Great story and great storytelling.”
“It starts out with a twisted gripper by JM Ames – The Californian (one of my favorite stories)”
- This is based on the real-life allegedly haunted hotel The Cecil Hotel in the Skid Row area of Los Angeles California, which has had many mysterious occurrences and serial murderers that have frequented it.
- While not a true Rock Fiction story, it was heavily influenced in parts by Hotel California, by The Eagles.